Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Wedded Wednesday:Selfishness



"But where there is selfishness it mars joy. One selfish soul will destroy the sweetness of life in any home. It is like an ugly bush in the midst of a garden of flowers. It was selfishness that destroyed the first home and blighted all the loveliness of Paradise; and it has been blighting lovely things in earth's home ever since. We need to guard against this spirit.” -J.R. Miller


1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres .
Love never fails.

When Billy Joe and I were newlyweds, the greatest struggles we had were over "who was going to get their way."  (What can I say?  We were young and dumb! LOL)  Oh how I wish I knew the Word of God better then.  It would have saved a lot of heartache! 

These quotes and scripture are all just great reminders that selfishness is an enemy of marriage.  Don't we all need to be reminded that we are not our own anymore!?!  When we are married, every thought and action has an affect on our spouse.  Everyday, we make the choice to put them before ourselves or to be selfish.

My prayer today is that through the power of the Holy Spirit, I might love my husband more than I love my own will and desires.  Ephesians 5:25 says, Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.  I see no reason why 'husbands' can't be replaced with 'wives'.  If I truly have had a revelation of who Jesus is, the sacrifice that He made for my life, and how He truly LOVES, casting down (2 Cor. 1:5) selfish thoughts and action should become easier everyday.

Thank you for spending this time with me and for the encouragement to continue blogging.  Your comments and kind words do not go unnoticed!  Have a blessed day, my friends! 



No comments:

Post a Comment