Friday, January 17, 2014

Makes Scents!

(Don't worry, spell patrol! ☺  I meant to spell scents and not sense.  You will see why in just a minute!!!!!)

I'm really not sure what is going on with my blog, but some of the pictures won't come up when you click on an old blog post.  I am computer illiterate, so I am sure that I have done something to cause this.  Hopefully, I will be able to figure it out before it drives crazy!

It is Friday again already!  It is so amazing how quickly time flies by!  Praise the Lord he has carried us through another week!  I'm sitting here at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee, watching my girls play on their swing set together in the beautiful sun!  Life is good!  When I think of the wretch that I am, I wonder sometimes how God can bless me so.  I am reminded daily of how utterly amazing His grace really is!
The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and RICH in LOVE!  Psalm 145:8 
About a year ago, I became really interested in learning about essential oils.  I stumbled on to it by accident.  I wanted to start a business that my girls and I could do together.  I searched online and came across Young Living Essential Oils on Stacy McDonald's (Author of Raising Maidens of Virtue) blog, Common Scents Mom. (Like I have time to start a business anyway!)

Since I started researching and using oils, I have noticed that a lot of women are interested in doing things more naturally.  It seems a little scary at first because there is so much information out there to look at.  It can be a bit overwhelming.  My advice would be to start slow.  Add a little at a time!

We started making homemade soap and laundry detergent as well.  As much as I hate to admit it, these weren't even so much about the natural benefits of having less chemicals, as it was about finding more ways to save money.  My husband actually really likes the cinnamon soap, and one of the girls told me the laundry detergent smells like sunshine......whatever that smells like!!!!

My next step is to return to making homemade cleaning products.  About 6 years ago, I had the brilliant idea to make homemade window cleaner and dusting spray.  I was so proud of myself.  (Until that fateful day....)  The dusting spray was made out of olive oil, distilled vinegar, and water.  Kelanie (my, then, 3 year old) decided to spray down our vinyl flooring with the dusting spray.  I was in a hurry that afternoon because I was late for church.  As you can imagine, high heels, olive oil, and vinyl flooring don't mix.  My feet flew up so high I landed straight on my back....almost like you would see on a cartoon.  I thought my back was broken for a few minutes.  There were no serious injuries other than my pride and my relationship with my homemade cleaners.  I am working at getting over it so I can try again. (That's just extra for today!)

Today I have listed a few oils that I have on hand.  I have tried a couple others, but these are the ones I use regularly.  (If you are curious where to buy these, I have purchased them at Basic Foods in Beaumont, Getting Well Naturally in Lumberton, and online from Young Living.)



Lavender- This is a universal oil. It is perfect for burns, insomnia, stress, bug bites, and just for relaxation.  (When my kids are overly tired, I put this on their temples and rub a little...I mean a little on their pillow.  It has a strong scent, so a little goes a long way.)  I made soap with it too.

Peppermint-Put a drop on your temples for headache relief.  Rub a little on chest to help congestion.  Put a few drops on feet to reduce fever.  A few drops in tea or under tongue for nausea relief.  Use on sore muscles or crick.  It is also helpful with digestion, allergies, and cooking.

Tea Tree and Garlic-Fights infection  (I have read that you can also use Tea Tree on lice and ring worms as well.)

Lemon-helps increase energy and can added to any homemade cleaners or laundry detergent.  It boosts cleaning power and a great scent.  A few drops of lemon will remove gum, oil, grease spots, glue or adhesive, and crayon from most surfaces.  You can also use it flavor food.

Thieves-(I have to thank Cody Toups for telling me about this!)  Put a drop on a fever blister to get rid of it!  Add to dishwasher for cleaner dishes.  Apply to teeth or gums for toothache relief.  Apply topically to warts to see them disappear.  Seriously, you can use this for just about anything.

Cinnamon-I used this to make soap with.  I really haven't learned enough to know what healing properties that it has, but I love the scent.  It was used in the holy anointing oil of Moses given to him by God in Exodus, so I'm sure it's good, right!?!.  I did read that some people put a few drops on their feet to help boost the immune system and fight off colds and flu.

I have started suffering with migraines in the last few years.  I have prescription medication for them, but really, I don't want to take those for the rest of my life.  My sister-in-law, Betty, showed me an article about Feverfew and Lemon Balm.  I bought some at Getting Well Naturally (in Lumberton) and put it to the test.

 

I woke up at 4 a.m. one morning and new a migraine was coming on.  I went and took a dropper full of each in a small glass of tea, and put a drop of peppermint on each temple.  I was able to go back to sleep.  When I woke up again at 7:30, I still had a headache, but it was much less painful.  I took the same dosage again.  My headache was better within an hour.  The only thing that it didn't help with was the onset of nausea at the beginning of the migraine.  I went back to sleep and was able to sleep it off, but if it had been during the day, I'm not sure how it would've went.  I'm still learning and tweaking this to what works for me.

I am interested in learning more about essential oils and naturopathic medicine.  Do you use essential oils?  Please share what you know with us either in the comments or on the Facebook page.

Have a great Friday!  As my Grandfather used to say, I'll see ya back here Monday, Lord willin' and if the creek don't rise! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment