Thursday, January 16, 2014

Chicken:It's What's for Dinner!

As requested, I am going to try and post recipes on Thursdays.  I'm sure my family will appreciate it, because they will be guaranteed one good meal a week!  Today, I am posting recipes for a whole meal.  These are some of my favorites.  They are pretty basic, but oh so scrumptious!

Just so you know, if this post seems a bit scattered, it has just started out as "one of those days"!  First, my alarm didn't go off.  I woke up at 8, jumped out of bed, and checked my phone.  It was then that I realized I had set it for next Thursday.  How in the world?  Then, I rushed to finish my blog (which I normally do early in the morning) and posted it.  After an hour had gone by, I decided to scroll through Facebook and could not find the post.  Hello!!!!  I didn't click publish!!!!  My goodness, hope the rest of the day isn't full of this chaos! 

The menu for today is Stuffed Chicken, Cream Potatoes, and Cake Mix Cookies!  My girls helped me cook this, so they are my special guests, as you will see.  Below are all the ingredients you will need!



Stuffed Chicken

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 3.5 pounds, but I have a pretty big family!)
Cream cheese, 8 oz. softened
jalapenos (I use sliced jalapenos in a jar....because I'm lazy!  The amount of jalapenos will depend on how spicy you like your food.)
1/2 c. Shredded Cheese
Tony Chachere's seasoning
bacon
toothpicks (soaked in water)

Preheat oven to 375°.  Slice chicken breasts in half long ways to make two long, thin pieces.  Season both sides of chicken with Tony's.  In a bowl, mix cream cheese, shredded cheese, jalapenos and about 1 tablespoon of jalapeno juice to smooth mixture.  Slather one side of each chicken breast with cheese mixture.  Roll each breast up.  Wrap 1/2 a piece of bacon around each, and insert a toothpick to keep the chicken from unrolling.  Prepare a casserole dish with cooking spray and place the stuffed chicken in.  Bake for 35 minutes.  (No need to cover.)
 
These are the chicken breasts after they have been cut in half and seasoned.
 
The cheese and jalapeno mixture.
 
Somewhere I read that if you put your toothpicks in water, it will keep the from drying out and splintering.  I just do it.  Can't hurt, right?!
 
Getting ready to roll these up!
 
When you have four little helpers in the kitchen with you working, things have a tendency to get a little hectic.  That would be why I don't have a picture of what a prepared chicken breast might look like.  Maybe, I'll do better next week! LOL!  The picture below is after it is baked and ready to eat!
 
 
 
Cream Potatoes
 
10 red potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper
shredded cheese
 
Cut up potatoes into chunks.  Boil for 10-15 minutes until done.  (This will depend on how big your potato pieces are.)  Drain water and put your potatoes in a serving dish.  Salt and pepper the potatoes.  In the same pot you used to boil potatoes, melt the butter.  When melted, add flour and whisk together.  When mixed, add milk and salt/pepper.  Bring to a boil.  When it has come to a boil, take off heat and pour over potatoes.  Add shredded cheese to the top.  Make sure and mix the potatoes up so all pieces will have cream on them.
 
Kati cutting up all the potatoes!

 
The flour and butter whisked together before adding the milk.
 
Kera is a pro at cream sauce making!
 
Yummy!
 

 
Cake Mix Cookies
 
1 yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
chocolate chips (I use half a bag, but use as much or little as you like.  You can not mess these up!  I also like to get peanut butter chips and do half chocolate chips and half peanut butter chips.)
 
 
Mix all ingredients.  Press out in a 9x13 cookie sheet sprayed with Pam.  Bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes. 
 Kelanie and Kat hard at work!
 
I wanted to take a picture of the lovely pan of cookies, but someone (or a few someones) got into them before I could!  When you taste them, you will see why! ☺
 
 


What I love about all of these recipes is that they came from someone special.  The chicken recipe came from my Mom, Penny Jones.  I was taught how to make the potatoes by Billy Joe's grandmother, Betty McLemore.  The cookie recipe I learned from my mother-in-law, Julia Kilpatrick.

If  you have a recipe you would like to post on the blog, type it up and add pictures.  Then, just email it to me at terabill6@gmail.com.  Please and thank you!☺ 

1 comment:

  1. I made every one of these recipes tonight. They were absolutely delicious!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete