Thursday, September 19, 2013

What's in a Name?

 
Happy Thursday, friends!  Does it seem like this week just flew by to you, too?  My friend, Jessica Honc, has an amazing word for you today!  I know you will be touched!  May the Lord bless you today and give you favor that a Child of the King deserves!

 
Jessica has been married to her husband, Will, for 12 years.  She is the homeschooling mother of three kiddos (Lilly, Sadie, & Samuel) and Director of Freedom Fellowship Home School Co-op.  Jessica is our church librarian and teaches 1st through 3rd grade Rays of Hope (girls) class.


Am I the only one, or has a certain person’s name ever been a scar in your mind,  if that certain person has done you wrong or caused you major distress in your life?  The sour taste in your mouth when you hear this person’s name isn’t the same thing as holding a grudge.  You may have forgiven the certain person for what they have done to you, just not forgotten.  The mention of their name can set you running in reverse or upset your stomach. 

From age 5 to age 12, my stepmother was the cause of much distress in my life.  Years after my father divorced her & well into my adult life, I subconsciously ran from her name.  If someone shared the same name as her (even their middle name) I would turn my back on that poor, innocent person & get to work on an invisible barrier to keep myself as far apart from that name as possible.  I wasn’t cruel, just purposefully neglectful.

I didn’t realize I was even doing this or that this action was keeping her and the memories of what she had done to me, with me. 

Then I was plucked up and sent to the Freedom Fellowship Ladies Retreat of 2011.   As I was getting coffee in the early hours of the morning, a sweet woman came in from jogging to get herself a cup of coffee too.  Having never met, we introduced ourselves.  Bam! There it was, she had the same name as my ex-stepmother.  I quickly ended our hellos & left the room, making a mental note to steer clear of her for pretty much the rest of my life.

I ate breakfast and headed to the chapel for service.  Guess who the speaker was that morning after service?  That’s right.  The Lord knew he had me & I knew he had me, right where he wanted me.

“And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them,
so that your Father in heaven
may forgive you your sins.”
Mark 11:25

I honestly don’t remember what the subject of her lesson was (I have the worst memory ever about some things) but I DO know that it changed me.  By her just being herself & letting the love and light of Christ shine through her that morning, she helped me more than she will ever know.  She helped me get rid of pain which I had been harboring for years.  I used to hear that certain person’s name& terrible memories would come crashing in on my parade.  Now I can hear that certain persons’ name& I don’t predetermine that she is someone I can’t get along with.

Consider the power of the name Jesus Christ.  It has the power to heal, cast out demons, save a person’s soul, stir emotion in us that is so overwhelming we shout out or cry or become completely still.

“The mountains shake before him, the demons run and flee.  At the mention of HIS NAME king of majesty!  There is no power in hell nor any who can stand, before the power and the presence of the GREAT I AM! Hallelujah! Holy Holy, God Almighty!”

“Glorify His name with me; let us
exalt his name together.”
Psalm 34:3

“Our help is in the name of the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.”
Psalm 124:8

So what is in a name?  A lot.  I may have the same name as someone who caused or is causing someone else extreme emotional or physical pain.  I may have introduced myself to someone in church & they may have cringed inside while smiling on the outside.   Because of this, I need to let the light of Christ shine through me every day in every activity I do.  As a saved Woman of God, I am responsible for representing Jesus.  When people look at me, they need to see a joyful, forgiven, person full of love for all.

“Therefore I will praise you, Lord,
among the nations; I will sing the
praises of your name.”
2 Samuel 22:50

2 comments:

  1. Great post! It is true, I too have experienced the same emotions and reaction. Crazy! but, wow, how we let just a name deter us from someone who could possibly be our very best friend, if only we'd let go of our silliness. Awesome word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when considering names for our impending child, my husband and I would put together different name combinations. Invariably, one of us would say, "No way, I knew a person with that name and he/she was horrible." Apparently, that is why the Bible teaches in Proverbs 22:1, "A good name is rather to be chosen that great riches..."

    ReplyDelete