Monday, September 16, 2013

The temple of God


Wow!  Is it already Monday again!?!  I hope you had a fantastic weekend, and I hope you had great fellowship with other believers on The Lord's Day.  When I was growing up, my grandfather, who was a Pastor, called after church every Sunday and asked, "So, was your service gloriously different?"  I thought that was a funny question because most of the time, as a child, I thought it was exactly the same.  Now, as an adult, I see the wisdom in His question.  It is glorious to see one sinner come to repentance!  It is glorious to worship with other believers.  It is glorious just to have the privilege of being in the House of the Lord gathering together with the Family of God! (I am blessed to have such a great Church family! Just can't say it enough!)

I sat here for an hour changing subjects about ten times.  I would type a paragraph and then delete it.  None of them seemed right.  Everyday since I started this blog, I have had a specific subject on my heart to write about, or someone would write for me.  Today was no different.   I have something on my heart, but I didn't want to share it because it is very personal and makes me feel like a failure.  It's about being physically healthy!  I mean eating healthy and exercising not necessarily a number on the scale.  Ugh....just saying that makes me feel consumed with defeat.

Every year, I start a diet and workout program and by the end of the year I am back at square one.  What it boils down to is 'self control'.  I have the willpower to say no to movies and music that would be harmful to my spirit, but have the hardest time saying no to FOOD that could destroy my body.  Anybody know what I'm talking about???   I figure I am definitely not alone in this struggle.  

In the last week, I have been using my quiet time to search the Bible for encouragement and wisdom on this matter.  I also called my sister-in-law, Kathleen, who is a Crossfit trainer, to give me some scripture as well. 

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.  1 Corinthians 10:31

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
1 Corinthians 6:19

Believe me when I say this, I was struggling to figure out if what I felt was conviction.  When I read these scriptures I believe it is.  The Lord wants my best in everything that I do, and I can not give that to Him if I feel sluggish and tired.  I can not give him my best if food has more power in my life than His Word!  I am very careful about what goes in to my body where movies, books, and music are concerned.  My body is the temple of God.  THE TEMPLE OF GOD!  Shouldn't I be just as careful about how I treat my physical body! 

Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.  But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.  1 Corinthians 9:26-27

 For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.  1 Timothy 4:8

You have probably heard people use 1 Timothy 4:8 as an excuse to not exercise.  It does say it profits a little.  In the CEB version, it says physical exercise is of some value.  I have read countless commentaries on this verse in the last week and the consensus seemed to be that no amount of physical work can change the inner man.  Our Godliness comes through His righteousness.  Even though I know the context is not about physical exercise, I added the verse to my journal!  I needed as many as possible !

And put a knife to your throat
If you are a man given to appetite.
Proverbs 23:2

Not literally!  The commentaries I read about this scripture said that just like you would be absolutely alert if a knife was at your throat, be aware that food and drink are a great temptation to you.  Gluttony is a sin.  Just like people can be tempted to overindulge in alcohol and drugs, we too can be tempted to overindulge in food. 

The next verse is Kathleen's favorite.  If you have ever seen her 'guns', you would understand why!

She girds herself with strength,
And strengthens her arms.
Proverbs 31:17
 
I have some more, but I will wait and share those another day.  I wasted an hour trying to talk myself out of sharing these and now it is time to start school!  If you are struggling in this area and would like me to pray for you as I ask the Lord to help me, please send me a message!  Also, if you have some encouraging scripture or quotes that help you, post them in the comments!   I hope you all have a fantastic Monday!
 
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline (self control). 
2 Timothy 1:7 NIV
 
 
 
 




   

No comments:

Post a Comment