Tuesday, September 10, 2013

WHY?


Every time I hear a bad report or that a tragedy has happened to someone that I know well the first question in my mind is, "Why, Lord? They are such a good person."  Seriously.  I know what the Bible says in Matthew 5:45....the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike.  It can happen to anyone. 

The "why" question isn't new to God.  It was asked in the Old Testament by Job and the writer of Psalms (which most believe to be David).  What about during the later years?  The twentieth century had to be full of "why".  The Great Depression, 2 World Wars, the Holocaust, genocide in many countries, famine in parts of Africa, and 9/11 are just A FEW of the tragedies that come to my mind.

There are so many religious leaders now who want to sugar coat life.  They teach that if you follow all their steps you'll be so blessed you will almost be invincible.  Sometimes, you even have preachers that will tell you that you control all things in your mind.  If you think positive, only positive things can happen.  Jesus was not like these men.  He was not a liar.  Jesus said things like they were even if it was not popular.

 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

Still, I think of a mother of young children with cancer and wonder why.  I wonder why a 17 year college bound student died suddenly in a tragic accident.  I wonder why the lady carried her baby to full term only to see it be still born.  The simple fact is, "I don't know."

 
Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.
All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I
will know everything completely, just as God now
 knows me completely.
1 Corinthians 13:12 NLT
 

We will not understand it.  I will tell you what I do understand, God did not create suffering.  In Genesis when he saw all that he had made, he saw that it WAS GOOD.  Suffering came in when 'all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.' (Romans 3:23)   BUT THERE IS HOPE!
 
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called
according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28 NKJV
 
Joseph is a good example of tragedy turned to good.  Do you think he might have asked "Why" when he was walking with the caravan to Egypt, or when he was in prison? Joseph was blessed enough to see purpose come from his suffering while he was still on earth. 
 
But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day,
to save many people alive.
Genesis 50:20 NKJV
 
 
Some of us don't have that opportunity.  We don't see the purpose until we get to Heaven.  During your suffering please remember one thing, The Lord is not slack concerning his promises. (2 Peter 3:9)  He will never leave you or forsake you. (Heb. 13:5)  If you have just received a bad report on yourself or someone you love or have gone through some other kind of tragedy, believe that God is with you and his Bride is interceding for you.  
 

I hope you will join me tomorrow for Wedded Wednesday.  My brilliant friend, Jessica Honc, will be writing.  It is going to be great and you will be blessed by it!

3 comments:

  1. Heartache is an inevitable part of this life. The choice with what to do with it makes all the difference!! I choose Jesus...my healer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes with GOD you can find peace and understnding just turn to him. But in troubled times You still ask why, but God says be still and know that I am GOD. He is a just GOD and knows all things even before we were born. PUT YOUR TRUST IN HIM AND HE WILL GIVE YOU PEACE

      Delete
    2. Ladies, your words are so true! Both of you are outstanding women of God, and encourage me daily with your perseverance and faith! The peace that you have is a testimony of God's goodness to us in every situation. I am blessed to call you my friends!

      Delete