Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hear His Voice!

 
Good morning, friends!  We had a busy Labor Day weekend.  I did yard work.  I love to mow!  With four girls, I enjoy the time with no one talking to me!  Don't get me wrong, I love talking to my girls.  I do not know what to do with myself when they are not here.  Just those few hours every week of no talking does wonders for me!  My husband worked on figuring out where to put our new cows when they come in September and clearing fence rows.  I am so excited!  If you ever had fresh beef, I promise, you would never buy meat at a grocery store again.  We also got 4 baby pigs to add to our farm! (You know pictures will be coming soon!)  They are so cute but smell so bad.  I guess you could say that we literally "brought home the bacon"!  I hope your weekend was great too!
 




"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them,
and they follow me."
John 10:27
 
I had a precious lady ask me to share my thoughts about knowing the Voice of God and overcoming fear of the tasks that He has for you.  Let's dig into the Word, and see what it has to say about it!  I will tell you that my knowledge on this matter will only scratch the surface of this great mystery.
 

 
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.  The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.

Psalm 29:3-4 

 
Before the fall, Adam and Eve enjoyed hearing God's voice as they fellowshipped in the Garden.  After they sinned, that same wonderful voice that had brought them great pleasure, now brought them fear.  As the Old Testament unfolded, you notice there were only a select few who directly heard God's voice.  Most of those people became His mouthpiece to deafened ears. 
 
Then, Jesus came on the scene.  He was God in flesh, and still people doubted His voice.  Jesus suffered, died, rose again, and sent us the Holy Spirit, the Comforter.  The Holy Spirit had many tasks and one of those was to guide Believers to truth.
 

 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
John 16:13
 
Did you catch that?  He doesn't speak of himself but speaks of WHAT HE HEARS!  Who does he hear from?  The Father.  It doesn't seem complicated, does it?!   So why is it that we have such a hard time hearing His voice?
 
Have you ever been in a group of people where everyone was talking at the same time?  (If you have kids, you definitely have!)  It is hard to focus on one person because of all the noise.  When it comes to hearing the voice of God, sometimes we have to turn everything else off.  Ask the Lord to help you shut out your own voice and/or the opinions of other people who are trying to influence you so that you can tune in to hear His voice.  Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into truth. 
 
The Litmus test of what He speaks is the Word of God.  GOD WILL NOT CONTRADICT HIS WORD!  The Bible is His WRITTEN WORDS to us!
 
What if the Lord gives you a task that you think is too big or too impossible?  What if you think that your abilities are not enough to accomplish it?  Again, go to the Bible!
 
For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not;
I will help thee. 
Isaiah 41:13
 
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
Deuteronomy 31:6
 
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a
sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7
 
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 27:1
 
So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man
shall do unto me.
Hebrews 13:6 
 
I would like to encourage you that if God speaks to you through the power of the Holy Spirit, and it is completely in line with the Word of God, he will equip you.  Hebrews 13:21 says, " Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever."
 
****One additional note I would like to add.  If you are a woman, and you feel that the Lord is speaking to you, if  you have prayed, read your Bible, and are still in question if it is from the Lord, speak with your husband.  He is your spiritual covering and protection.  I know that what I am about to say might be offensive to some, but I will say it anyway.  Women have a tendency to be emotional creatures.  (Go ahead and laugh!  You know it's true!)  We can be swayed by our emotions to think something is from God.  Protect yourself by always seeking wise counsel from your husband.   


2 comments:

  1. I think we all wonder sometimes "Is this really coming from God?" Scripture always leads us to the truth. Great word!! I love your "additional note" and agree 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great word! Sometimes I can believe I have it all figured out. I begin to wonder what my husband would know that God or His word hasn't already told me. Silly, proud me! I sometimes thoughtlessly leave out my husband. But I must remember that authority trickles down from God, to Jesus, to my husband, and then me. I really need to ask my husband so that, if for no other reason, I know what he has in his mind; what the Lord has shown him for our family. Communication. Then we won't be at odds with our reasoning. As Tera said, we are emotional creatures. In our home, someone has to add the emotional touch, and it falls to me, by design. My husband is steady. I want to be under a steady hand. It is good.

    ReplyDelete