Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Armor- bearer


This morning I got up with a heavy heart praying for a situation I would like to see the Lord intervene in.  I prayed and asked the Lord to do a work, and still I did not feel encouraged.  All of a sudden, I was reminded that Monday morning, one of my dearest friends sent me a message that said, "I'm praying for our friends." I responded, "We're agreeing together for God to move! Amen!"  Instantly, I felt encouraged that I was not praying in vain, because I knew I was not alone in my labor.

There is something about having friends who 'have your back' in every situation.  Those friends who will stand and pray with you when you feel like giving up.  This friend of mine is my armor-bearer. 

In Chapter 14 of 1 Samuel, we find the Israelites facing the Philistines.  God's people were so afraid that they were hiding.  Jonathon, King Saul's son, decided that it was time for them to come out of hiding!

 Then Jonathan said to the young man who bore his armor, “Come, let us go over to the garrison of these uncircumcised; it may be that the Lord will work for us.For nothing restrains the Lord from saving by many or by few."  1 Samuel 14:6
 

Jonathon is ready and he has great faith that the Lord will prevail!  They challenged the Philistines at the pass of Micmash.  They heard from God to attack.  Jonathon and his armor-bearer climbed the rocks to meet the soldiers, slew 20, and started a day long battle that the Israelites won.  There is, however, one little detail I left out and it is found in 1 Samuel 14:7.

So his armor-bearer said to him, “Do all that
is in your heart. Go then; here I am with you,
according to your heart.”

Don't we need that some times?  When you have a situation at hand that is your own personal circumstance, or that is a circumstance the Lord has burdened you to pray for, you can set your face like Jonathon.  You might want to attack it in prayer with great faith. You might believe that "God will work for us and that nothing restrains the Lord from saving by many or by few."  There is just something about hearing another believer say, "Let's do it!  I am with you!'

I want to be your armor-bearer today and tell you nothing is too BIG for our Great God!  He is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all we ask or think. (Ephesians 3:20)  Nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37) and through Him all things are possible. (Philippians 4:13)  He is for us, so who can be against us!?! (Romans 8:31)  The Lord will fight for you! (Exodus 14:14) 

If you have a prayer need, I am standing with you in the Name of Jesus.  "Here I am with you!"

I encourage you to be an armor-bearer to someone today!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE that song! It is true, we just need to know someone is with us sometimes. Thank you for God's word today! And for standing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this song because the words are so simple. It is exactly what I couldn't express with my own words until I heard it. Thank you my friend for always encouraging me!

      Delete
  2. What an encouragement. We must always remember not to let the day pass without encouraging our friends. What is a thought or a prayer or a compliment worth if the one it is for is not even aware of it? Our words can be truth and light and encouragement or they can be death. Let your words be full of God's love and don't hesitate to share with others the things your God puts in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I think about how many times I have had a thought to call or text someone out of the blue, and passed up the opportunity. I believe the Holy Spirit will give us those thoughts, and then we choose whether we will obey or not! Thank goodness Our God is patient and long suffering, because it has taken me a while to learn to obey the prompting of the Holy Spirit!

      Delete
  3. David and Jonathan loved each other as brothers, Something the Lord puts into the hearts of the ones that love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! The church becomes our family! It reminds of the words to a song: I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God. I've been washed in the fountain, cleansed by His blood! Joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod, for I'm a part of the family, The Family of GOD!

      Delete