Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wedded Wednesday:My Lover-My Friend!

Today's post is by Josie Mathis.  Josie has been married to her husband, Michael, for 10 years.  Together, they Pastor the Jr. High Student Ministry.  Josie also sings on the Praise Team!  I love, love, love both of these wonderful people.  (I am pretty sure Josie gives the best hugs and it is always right when you need one!)  As a side note, you can read Michael's blog at Life is Sweet!  And I almost forgot, they are the co-owners of Mathis Family Farms.....THE BEST HONEY IN TEXAS!  If you haven't tried any yet, you are missing out.
Michael and Josie Mathis

Since I was asked to write, last week, for Wedded Wednesday, I have thought of a mirad of marital aspects. I told Tera I wanted to pray about what God would have me say, and I have, though my own mind continued to try to come up with a plan of its own. Lol. I must say, I find this is how most of my writings are. I plan for one idea and the Holy Spirit takes a different approach. So here goes...

My Lover - My Friend 

People marry for various reasons be it attraction, money, to get out of a bad situation, loneliness, and hopefully love. I married my best friend! And oh what a wonderful friend indeed! I am reminded of Song of Solomon-
 
The watchmen stopped me as they made their rounds, and I asked,
“Have you seen the one I love?”
Then scarcely had I left them when I found my love!
I caught and held him tightly...  
(Song of Songs 3:3, 4 NLT)
 
Michael and I have been married for 10 years and I can't imagine a sweeter friendship. I hold tightly to our friendship and the treasure God has given me.
 
Some wise women have taught me over the years, and this stays with me... Do not forsake your husband for the needs of others, including your children; because when you are old it is his love and friendship that will be with you.
 
How does one treat a friend? To have a friend you must spend time with one another, share interests, invest in one another. Friends support each other through good times, bad times, and all things in between. If we want our relationship with our husband to be strong we must nurture it. What are some ways to nurture that relationship, that Friendship?  I will share some of my own experience. 
 
As most, if not all, of you know, I have a very loud personality. However, my sweet husband, is quite mild mannered for the most part. In keeping with Tera's comments from last week- Do not think in any way that means he is not strong or does not have an opinion. He is most definitely assertive and strong willed when necessary. However, as his helper- and yes his friend, it is my responsibility and Joy to help him in any way I can. I believe as a wife we do have great power of persuasion in our husbands decisions, because they love us and cherish our opinions. But as their friend, we must not take advantage of that love and trust.
 
I know with my girlfriends, if I am shopping and see some treasure that reminds me of them, I'll buy it for a surprise for them. Why should we do any less for our best friend? I know we women like getting the little extras, but so do our men. (Even though some don't admit it! Lol) 
 
So I challenge you, find ways to show your husband how very special he is to you, especially in those times he is working extra hard for you and your family. Sometimes it is just the smallest kindness such as a little extra treat in their lunch, having their work clothes clean (and not still in the dryer- haha!), or maybe fixing their favorite dinner.
 
Most of all seek the one your heart loves! Continue daily, striving to win his heart again and anew. Be his best friend!! 
 
Of course I could go on forever,  but I leave you with this... Let this be Your testimony with Your best friend...
 
(Song of Songs 5:16 NLT)
His mouth is sweetness itself; he is desirable in every way.
Such, O women of Jerusalem, is my lover, my friend.

3 comments:

  1. This moved me. It touched my soul. Jose and Michael are such good people and I am proud to call them friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good word, quite enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words, Josie. Thanks for sharing God's view on marriage, our most important earthly relationship.

    ReplyDelete