Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wedded Wednesday: Offense


 ....looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled.  Hebrews 12:15

Today's blog might be a little different for a Wedded Wednesday post.  I would like to talk about something I have experienced myself, and what I see becoming a common attack on marriage.  It's this little thing called "OFFENSE". 

Years ago, someone in the leadership of the church said something to me that really, I mean REALLY, offended me.  It began to cause a great deal of bitterness in me.  It affected everything I did.  IT WAS EATING ME ALIVE!  There was not a moment that went by that I wasn't thinking about it some way or another.  It overflowed into my marriage.  All I did all the time was spew ugliness about the situation. 

Finally, the situation really came to a head.  Some couples even left the church.  You want to know why?  Because the wives had been offended also.  Do you see a common factor hear?  WOMEN GET OFFENDED AND IT OVERFLOWS TO THEIR HUSBAND!  It happens all the time.

One of my friend's told me this and it will stick with me for the rest of my life.  I hope it might for you as well!

O F F E N S E-
 
 "SNARE OF THE DEVIL"
 

It is a trap....a deadly trap.  If the devil can get you offended, he renders you useless for the Kingdom of God, BUT TRUST ME, you are very useful to the powers of darkness.

Women, we have got to realize the influence we have on our husbands.  Since the Garden, women have had influence.  Don't get me wrong, Billy Joe does not allow me to lead him around like a puppy.  He is a smart, Godly man and the spiritual leader of our home, but we do life together as a team.  He values my input and ideas.  We do ministry together.  If I am mad or offended, I hold the power to ask God to heal my wound, or to sway my husband to feel the same way I do.  

I have seen this happen so many times in the last few years.  Women get offended or get their feelings hurt.  I'm not just talking about people who just come to church to fill a seat on Sunday morning.  I am talking about people in leadership positions.   It begins to cause bitterness.  They resist church until their husband also falls away......and then, they are gone.  Not just to another church either.  Gone... as in not serving the Lord at all......anywhere!

Then, before you know it, the devil has such a stronghold on them, and their marriage begins to fall apart.  IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!  I feel such an urgency in my spirit to give this warning to women today!

Guard your heart!  Guard your mouth!
If you find that you feel offended, mad, or bitter, stop and ask the Lord to heal the wound in your heart.  Go to that person and GET IT RIGHT!  This little offense can become a big, ugly monster that Satan will try to use to
destroy your marriage. 
 
This video is a short clip of John Bevere preaching about his book called The Bait of Satan.  If you find that you are having an issue with the trap of offense, I highly recommend this book.
 



A brother offended is harder to win than a strong city,
And contentions are like the bars of a castle.
Proverbs 18:19

1 comment:

  1. Such truth! I just read that scripture last week and it struck my spirit. I chuckled to myself as I thought about how we try to cajole the offended person into letting go of the bitterness. The words, "A brother offended is harder to win than a strong city" is exactly how it feels. Like a losing battle.

    ReplyDelete