Saturday, October 5, 2013

Be Careful What You Ask For!

I don't usually post on Saturday but today I just am!  I was going to try to save this until Monday, but I want it to be fresh from my heart as the Holy Spirit gives it to me.  I hope that you have a GREAT weekend and have a great time of fellowship with other believers tomorrow.  I know I am looking forward to church!  I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the House of the Lord! Psalms 122:1
 
Matthew 14:22-33 NLT 

Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home.
23 After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.
24 Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves.
25 About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water.
26 When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”
27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”
28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus.
30 But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.
31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?”
32 When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped.
33 Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed.



I love this story for so many reasons!  It resonates so much TRUTH that the Church needs to hear.  More importantly, that I need to hear. 

I have to tell you that before, when I have read this story, the emphasis was always on the fact that Peter started to sink.  Oh ye of little faith!  Why couldn't he just trust Jesus, right!?!  Today as I read, the Holy Spirit echoed in me, "AT LEAST PETER WAS WILLING TO GET OUT OF THE BOAT!"  That's right, he got out when no one else would.  He did not know the outcome.  He didn't know if He would stand on top of the water or sink.  As a matter of fact, the circumstances surrounding this calling looked pretty alarming.  All Peter knew was that Jesus called him and he had to go.

Many Believers want to be used for the Kingdom of God.  We pray that the Lord will open doors to use us or put people in our path who need us.  We ask for it.  BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR!  The Lord will take you at your word and call you out.  We begin to hear Jesus calling us.  We feel a tug at our heart to make a move toward Him.  It just looks too scary.  The waves are crazy.  It seems like a really long way to even get to Jesus and as far as I know, I have never been able to walk on water.  It seems impossible.  He's beckoning us out into the unknown!  Just like Peter, we're not even sure where we are headed, the vision isn't completely clear, but we are just following the voice of God for direction.  (Can you relate to this!?!  I am not sure of the entire mission Jesus has for me, I just know it's time to go forward.)

NOW HERE IS THE MESSAGE THAT REALLY CONVICTED ME!!!!!!  Step out of the boat!  Quit looking around.  Quit waiting for someone to get on this journey with you.  All the other disciples might not go with you because this is YOUR calling.  I have a habit of wanting everyone around me to be excited about what I am excited about at the time.   (I'm sorry,my friends!)  If I am dieting, I need everybody around me to be dieting. We need to talk about it, study, eat it, breathe it.......I think you get it!  I don't necessarily want to step out of the boat unless ____________ (insert friend's name) can go with me on the journey.  I think if I don't have someone along on the same ride, I can't do it.  For once in my life I get it.....I REALLY GET IT......He is ALL that I need.

We are all going to be like Peter.  We will begin to sink because we can do nothing in our own power.  They key is grabbing hold of Jesus.  His strength causes all things to be possible.  I think that is why Jesus choose the least likely men to be His disciples.  They were just real people with faults and failures who heard the call and went.  He took care of the rest!  It demonstrated Jesus' ability to use whomever He pleased for whatever He wanted to be accomplished.  He doesn't need someone with a good resume, He just wants a willing heart. 

This song is my hearts cry in a song.  I love it!  Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders. Let me walk upon the waters wherever you would call me.  Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior! Yes, Lord!!!!!!!



           

4 comments:

  1. AMEN so true grab hold and hang on never let go of JESUS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I love this!
    "There's a stirring in the Spirit, there's an urgency in this hour!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should SO bring 'God Is Moving' back, don't you think!?!

      Delete