Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Loving Your Pastors' Wives


Until yesterday, I did not realize how many friends I have whose husbands are in the ministry.  Children's Pastors, Youth Pastors, Worship Pastors, College Pastors, Senior Pastors, and missionaries- I am friends with at least one of each.  Full time, part time, interim, in the field, and on furlough all over the world.  I did not just happen to take a friendship inventory, most of these friends were sharing this article (on Facebook)below called Nine Secrets Your Pastor's Wife Wishes You Knew by Christina Stolaas. 

Nine Secrets Your Pastor's Wife Wishes You Knew

Of course I had to read it as it was taking up my newsfeed.  I know that every wife of a minister does not necessarily face all of these issues, but I would imagine that this list is pretty accurate.  I really do believe that the congregation has no idea the sacrifices that our Pastors, ministers, missionaries and their families have made.  Yes, this is a willing sacrifice that is for their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, but each of our lives have been touched by their sacrifices.  We should honor these faithful men and women of God! 



I pray specifically for my Pastor, Bro. Shannon Kilpatrick, everyday, but I have been feeling really inspired to spend focused prayer time for our Pastors' wives each day as well.  How can we as the body of Christ leave the ministry of the pastor’s wife unattended, and ignored?  You can bless your pastors by being a blessing to their wives.  Sometimes we may not know what to pray,  this is when we lean on Romans 8:26. "And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words."

The attacks on Pastors Wives lives from the enemy are disguised in many faces, and she is in constant warfare for her husband, children, marriage, and church. 

If you feel inclined to join me in this, I would like you to make a list of the Pastors' wives in your church (staffed or lay men) and commit yourself to pray for them everyday.  Ask the Lord to show you how and when to pray. 

Here is my list of Pastors' wives that I am committed to pray for:
Julia, wife of Senior Pastor, Bro. Shannon Kilpatrick
Etta, wife of Executive Pastor, Bro. Ken Rose
Judy, wife of Associate Pastor, Bro. Phillip Hammers
Kayla, wife of High School/Young Adults Pastor, Bro. Buddy Buckner
Josie, wife of Jr. High Pastor, Bro. Michael Mathis  

I apologize if I have left anyone out!  I love these ladies with all my heart.  Each one of them is an encouragement and a blessing to me.

Would you pray this prayer from The Unveiled Wife over your Pastors' wives with me!


Dear Heavenly Father,
 
Thank you for the position you have given to Pastor’s all around the world.  Thank you for trusting them with your Word.  Thank you for their wives, who support them, love them, and serve them.  I pray that you would strengthen their marriages everyday.  I pray for each pastor's wife right now. May your Holy Spirit empower her to continue sowing, to continue doing good.  Bless her Lord. Equip her to do your will.  I pray against any temptation that would come to tear her down or hold her in bondage.  I pray against the schemes of the enemy and I pray against his attack on marriage. May you send people to encourage her today and every day.  Remind her daily of her value and the love you have for her.  Reveal to her the purpose for why she is where she is.  Refine her and fill her with your wisdom.  May your peace and joy abound in her heart in Jesus name, AMEN!



*****There are only 21 sleeps (as my kids would say) until the Proverbs Bible Study begins on July 1st.  If you are planning on following along each day, I recommend subscribing to Passionate with a Purpose!  There is a box in the right margin titled Follow by Email. Every day the post will automatically be sent straight to your email address and you won't have to search for it!

If you are a reader like me, here are some great articles about Pastors' Wives.

7 Ways to Love Your Pastor's Wife Well

What Not To Say To Your Pastor's Wife  (I thought this one was funny because I say dumb things all the time so I can relate to the women who might have said a few of these!) 

10 Things Every Young Pastors Wife Should Know  (This is by friend, Kristy, who blogs @ Little Natural Cottage.  Her husband is a full time pastor, and she is the homeschooling momma to 5.  I have shared this one before, but it is so good, I thought I would share it again!)


 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. This is a beautiful, compassionate prayer! So much of this is true in my life. I especially liked...
    "I deleted my number 1"
    Sometimes as a Pastor's wife you just feel like you cannot share your problems with others- Because "everyone" thinks you don't have problems. Ha! Right?! =)
    Thanks to Tera and all who joined her in this commitment to pray for Pastor's wives!
    ♡ Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. This is a beautiful, compassionate prayer! So much of this is true in my life. I especially liked...
    "I deleted my number 1"
    Sometimes as a Pastor's wife you just feel like you cannot share your problems with others- Because "everyone" thinks you don't have problems. Ha! Right?! =)
    Thanks to Tera and all who joined her in this commitment to pray for Pastor's wives!
    ♡ Josie

    ReplyDelete