Friday, June 6, 2014

Goodbye Fear!

Fear is a crippling emotion. The Lord never intended for His followers to dread the future. Although we may feel afraid at times, we should never let fear control us. - Dr. Charles Stanley
 
 
Have you ever felt led by the Holy Spirit to a task and fear held you back?  Maybe you were supposed to speak truth to someone in a difficult situation or lead out or organize an event or ministry at your church.  Or maybe you felt like God was directing you to quit your job and stay home, or get a job and help your family make it through a difficult financial struggle.  The list is endless of what we may have been directed to do but wouldn't because we were controlled by fear.  Oh the blessings fear has caused us to miss out on.  We are not alone in this.  We are not the only ones who have had to deal with and overcome fear.  There are many examples of this very thing in the Bible.
 
   
 
Here are just a few examples.
 
Moses was reluctant to leave behind the safety of his shepherd life in the back country of Midian, and fearful to answer God’s call to go back to Egypt and confront the mighty Pharaoh with God’s command to free the Israelites (Exodus 3 & 4)
 
The ten scouts were afraid to trust God to lead them into the promised land of Canaan, thus causing the Israelites to waste 40 years in the wilderness before finally being allowed to enter Canaan .(Numbers 13 & 14)
 
Joshua had seen God's people rebel against Moses and was afraid he could not lead them to take possession of the Promised Land. (Joshua 1)
 
In fear, Jonah ran away from God and the mission to preach to the people of Nineveh. (Jonah 1 & 2)
 

The rich young ruler who was afraid and unwilling to give up the comfort of his wealthy lifestyle to follow Jesus. (Luke 18:18-23)

John Mark allowed fear to cause him to abandon Paul and Barnabas on their first missionary journey. (Acts 13:13; 15:36-38)


Whatever the nature of God’s invitation to each of us to serve him, it can create some anxiety or fear in us, because it often means leaving our comfort zone, and venturing into the unknown.

The truth is, God will not force us to do it- whatever IT is in each of our lives- but like an earthly father teaching his young child to ride a bike, he encourages us to trust him for our needs, safety, and our future.  He is always assuring us of His unconditional and unfailing love.

These are the truths that the Holy Spirit gave me this morning to help me overcome fear when He directs and calls me to a task.

1.  The plans that God has for me are always full of hope!

“I know the plans I have for you. They are plans for good and not for disaster,
to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11, NLT)

2.  God is love, and His perfect love resides right inside of me.  It is that perfect love that casts out ALL FEAR!
 
“We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in him.
God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.
And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect….
Such love has no fear because perfect love expels all fear.
If we are afraid, it is for fear of judgment,
and shows that his love has not been perfected in us.”
(1 John 4: 16, 17a, 18, NLT)

3.  When I am obedient, I am consumed in the Father's love and my joy will overflow!  

“I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love.
When you obey me, you remain in my love,
just as I obey my Father and remain in his love.
I have told you this so that you will be filled with my joy.
Yes, your joy will overflow!” (Jn. 15: 9-11, NLT)

4.  If He directs me, I CAN DO IT!
 
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
(Philippians 4:13, NLT)


This is an excerpt from a devotional about fear by Dr. Charles Stanley that a precious friend of mine sent recently.

What can we do to develop courage?
A. Meditate on God’s Word: Instead of just quickly reading a large section of the Bible each day, choose a shorter passage and really think about its message. Ask God for help interpreting and applying it to your life.
Meditating on God’s Word will:
1) Quiet your spirit.
2) Sharpen your perception (Ps. 119:105).
3) Purify your heart (Heb. 4:12).
4) Clarify your direction (Prov. 3:5-6).
B. Recall past experiences of God’s faithfulness: Remember the way you relied on the Lord in previous crises and how His goodness carried you through difficulties.
C. Observe the courage of others: As fellow believers share their testimonies of the Lord’s faithfulness, let their stories reinforce your faith in Him.
D. Ask the critical question: If I don’t obey God, what will happen?: Every action, whether good or bad, has a consequence. Rebelling against the Lord may seem like an easier path, but it will be ultimately be painful. Trusting and obeying Him always brings spiritual blessing.
E. Recall His promise to be with us at all times: The Lord told Joshua that He would never forsake him. Through Scripture, you and I have been given the same assurance today. Our omnipotent God has all power to guide us and bring success in our lives.
 
My prayer is that the Lord will make us courageous and help us be the difference makers He has called us to be!  I hope you have a great weekend.

*****The countdown is on to our July Bible study on the book of Proverbs!  Who's excited!?!  Just because I am anticipating great things, I am going to add the countdown to all my posts in June.  Let's count it down like my girls do.....there are 25 sleeps left until we start.☺ Please be praying for the women who will be writing for the study and for that the Holy Spirit will speak to all who are participating!

1 comment: