Monday, February 17, 2014

Amazing Grace!



Ephesians 2:4-9  But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.


It occurred to me that the song that was being sung when I was saved is pretty much my testimony:

Amazing Grace, How Sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
 
Grace, it is amazing. Grace is God's favor.  How could a person like me, who had done so many terrible things, be deserving of anyone's favor?  Let alone, God's?
 
A Wretch?  Yes, I was.  I had hurt and disappointed everyone who loved me.  Burned bridges and deserved the absolute worse life had to offer.
 
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
 
I was selfish and untrustworthy.  I was full of shame and disgust for myself.  Then a total stranger reached out to me.  They saw a glimmer of hope for me and led me to the moment where I was open to God.  Jesus rescued me and opened my eyes so that I could see a glimmer of hope for my future.
 
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
 
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
 
Fear of the Lord is indeed the beginning of it all.  Before the moment I received The Lord's Salvation, I felt the entire weight of my sin-filled past growing heavier and heavier.  I was drowning under it.
 
Accepting His invitation, fearing His great presence and humbling myself before Him made it possible for His grace to remove that weight of guilt, shame, despair, and hopelessness from me.  I no longer needed to fear the future.  He was with me.
 
The Lord has promised good to me
His Word my hope secures
 
He loves me, no matter what I did in my past.  His promises ring truer and truer with each passing day.  The security I have in knowing Him and His unending love is beyond what words can describe.
 
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures
 
He not only cleansed me of my past, He fights my battles for me and He provides me with everything I need.  He has restored me!  I will praise Him forever with a thankful heart, because He has given me so much more happiness than I would have ever imagined possible.

 
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.
Will be forever mine.
WILL BE FOREVER MINE.
 
I will not be here on earth forever.  We are all mortal.  I will however, continue to do the Lord's work as long as He needs me to. 
 
I can sing this part from the mountaintops!!!!!!
 
 
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, My Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending Love, AMAZING GRACE!

 
 
This was written by Jessica Honc.  She is a wife and homeschooling mom of 3, President of Freedom Fellowship Co-op, Church Librarian, and 1st-3rd grade Girls' class teacher. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you used this most familiar of all hymns to break down your salvation experience. Also, when you break it down piece by piece it breathes new life into what we are singing about. This is not JUST an antiquated, familiar, comfortable song; it is a proclamation to anyone who will listen that Jesus is the Way, theTruth and the Life!

    ReplyDelete