Thursday, February 6, 2014

Food With Friends:Chicken Teriyaki

As you may have noticed, after the survey last week, the name for our recipe day, Food with Friends, won by leaps and bounds!  Aren't we cool now!?!  Today, I have such a treat for us. 
 
If men have BFF's, Mitchell Sanchez would be my husband's!  They do everything together- hunt, work, and serve the Lord!  Generally, if you find one of them doing something, the other is with them.  
 
Something they don't do together though is share the joy of cooking.....I'm pretty sure I don't even love cooking as much as Mitchell and Tonya Sanchez.  They are good chefs and thank goodness, because we enjoy their food quite a bit. 
 
I hope you enjoy this recipe.  Let me know if you try it out!  Do what everybody else does, and post a picture of it on Facebook! ☺ 
 
Mitchell Sanchez
 
So I guess it's time to admit I'm a closet reader of Tera's blog.  I'll go ahead and say it, the girl does a great job and I get a fresh blessing every time I read it.  That being said, I noticed she does a recipe day and thought I'd share some of our recipes we use at our house.   Tonya and I share the cooking duties, and we both love being in the kitchen.  Last night, we made a meal of stuff we had on hand, and it turned out pretty good!  We love us some Chinese food, so we tried a slimmed down version of Chicken Teriyaki!
 
Our meal was made for a family of 4, but add or take away as you see fit.
 

 
 
Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
12oz bag frozen broccoli (we actually used half the bag)
1 whole yellow onion
2 green bell pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and Pepper to taste
Teriyaki Sauce (we used preservative free)
Brown or white rice
 
First, get your skillet or pot on the stove and warming, about medium heat.  I used a dutch oven, to give me some stirring room.
 
Next, chop your onion and bell pepper.  Try your best to cut everything the same size, and that’ll make it all finish cooking at the same time. 
 
 
 
Once  the skillet/pot warms up, add just enough olive oil to thinly coat the bottom.  Once it starts lightly smoking, add the bell pepper first and let it cook for about 5 minutes to soften.  I always do this when cooking onion and bell pepper together, as it takes the bell pepper a little longer to soften and I try to get them the same consistency.  After they soften to your liking, add the onion.
 
 

While the onion and bell pepper are cooking, go ahead and chop up the chicken.  You can either cube it or cut it into thin strips.  We cut ours into thin strips.  Same thing as the onion and bell pepper, try as best you can to cut them all the same size.

 

 
Cook the onion and bell pepper till they brown lightly.
 
 
 
Once they get to the consistency you like, remove them from the pot and set them aside.  Turn your temp up to about medium high. After the temp comes up, add the chicken and lightly sear it.  If it’s cut thin, it won’t take long to cook.
 
 
 
Now would be a good time to cook the rice, as per the instructions on the box.
 
Once the chicken is cooked through, drain off any excess water and add the onion, bell pepper, half bag of frozen broccoli and about 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce and mix in.  You can add a little more or less, depending on how sweet you want it.  Drop the temp back to medium low, cover and cook about 5 minutes.  Take it off the heat and it should look something like this.
 
 
 
Put some of the rice in the bottom of a bowl and add some of the Teriyaki chicken, and ENJOY!!
 
 
 
Thanks again, Tera for letting me share a little of our kitchen in your blog.  Hopefully I’ll get to share a few more with you in the future!  God Bless!

1 comment: