Thursday, March 13, 2014

Food with Friends:Breakfast Frittata



 
Today's post is written by Mitchell Sanchez!  Seriously, I can not wait to make this recipe!  I would just like to add how much I appreciate everyone who sends me posts to put on this blog.  There is no way I could keep it up without help.  So if you have something to share, a testimony, recipe, advice/encouragement on marriage, family, raising children, a fresh revelation of scripture, natural living, etc., please do not hesitate to send it my way at terabill6@gmail.com.  Thank you and I hope you have a great Thursday!
 
 Mitchell picked this picture for the blog because, AND I QUOTE, "It really captures my essence as a man." Hmmm  
 
I love me some breakfast, it’s the most important meal of the day!!!  I’m the early riser in the house so I normally get to cook breakfast, and I haven’t really had TOO terribly many complaints yet.  The kids really like this one so I decided to surprise them with it.  Frittatas are great because you can make them with just about anything you like. I did a vegetable version and everyone seemed to like it a good bit so we’ll be doing this one again.
 
Breakfast Frittata
 
7-8 eggs, Half whole, half egg white will trim it up some
¾ cup yellow onion, diced
¾ cup tomato, diced
2 cups cubed potato (any kind)  cut into smaller cubes
1 8oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed and drained
¾ cup roasted red pepper
1 poblano pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
 
 
Get everything diced up and ready to cook.  Beat the eggs and set them aside. Preheat a cast iron skillet and set your oven to 350 degrees.
 

 
Boil the potatoes.  I cubed them a little bigger and boiled them till they were just about done.  Then I cut them into smaller pieces to add later to the skillet.
 
Sautee the green poblano pepper and onion in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil until lightly browned.  While they are sautéing, heat or defrost the spinach in the microwave until it is completely ice free.  Remove it from the package and drain the water as best as you can.  You might need to place it between two paper towels and press out the excess as much as possible.
 
 
Once the onions and pepper is sautéed, Add the remaining ingredients and add some salt and pepper.  Give it a stir to incorporate everything pretty evenly.
 
 
 
Add the egg and mix it around just a little bit to even things out.  Let it cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat, just enough to set the bottom and sides. 
 
 
 
 Right before you add it to the oven, cover the top with some cheese.  Cook at 350 for about 15 minutes, or until the egg is cooked through.  When you pull it out, it should look something like this.
 
 
I was fortunate enough to have some of Kayla Buckner’s salsa on hand to enjoy this with.  If you’ve never had it before, then beg her to make you some!!!  Hope y'all get to try this, it’s a really good recipe that you can really make your own with whatever ingredients you choose!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment