Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Humble Wife!

I long to accomplish great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty and joy to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble.  -Helen Keller
 
 
Easton’s 1897 Bible Dictionary defines “humility” as: a prominent Christian grace. It is a state of mind well pleasing to God; it preserves the soul in tranquility and makes us patient under trials.  It is the opposite of pride.
 
 
The humble He guides in justice,
And the humble He teaches His way.
Psalms 25:9 
 
 
 
I believe that if we desire to be a humble wife, we must first fully understand what it means.  Sometimes we try to make "Spiritual things" more complicated than they are, at least I know I have in the past.  These godly characteristics that we desire to be ARE attainable through the power of the Holy Spirit!  Being humble is putting others before yourself and never building yourself up at the expense of someone else. 
 
Here are some ways the Lord is helping me to become a humble wife. 
 
1.  Don't be quick to blame your husband when there are problems in your marriage, but be ready to examine your own heart.  Admit to your husband when you are wrong, even if it was unintentional.     
 
2.  Accept advice and/or correction from your husband.  Humility leads us to have a teachable spirit. (This has not always been easy for me, but now I understand that there is wisdom in counsel.)
 
3.  Don't gloat when you are right.  Consider your husband's feelings before your own. (It rarely happens that I am right anyway, so this is not a hard one for me! ☺) 
 
4.  Give and accept forgiveness from your husband quickly and freely.  (A wise woman once told me, It is easy to continue in anger, but it is so freeing to give it to God, and forgive.   Though she was not talking about marriage, it has come to my mind several times about my spouse.  He has been very patient these last 13 years as I learned this!) 
 
5.  Learn to give a wise appeal.  (I first learned about this in Created to Be His Help Meet.  If  something is important and it needs to be addressed (for ex. financial stresses or other situations you hate to discuss), with much prayer bring it before your husband.  Be humble and considerate in your presentation.  Consider the weight of your words and how they might affect him.  Then, trust his decision even if it was not the outcome you were hoping for.)    
 
Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders.
Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility,
for "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
1 Peter 5:5
 
By becoming humble, we receive God's grace.  Don't we desperately need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment