Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Real Me

Yesterday, I received a private message from an acquaintance of an acquaintance that stumbled across my blog on Facebook. This nice gentlemen informed me that my posts were well written but my ideas were a little backwards for the 21st century. (What, I had no idea!?!)  The reader felt like I wanted everyone to think that I was the ideal woman .  Perfect people should not blog because they are annoying and unrelatable.  I am really shocked to have "hate" mail on my first week blogging.  (Ok, or not, because my lifestyle is foolishness in the world's eyes.) All joking aside, I hope that this is not the general consensus. I know my failures better than anyone.  The enemy tries to remind me daily because he is the Accuser of the Brethren! 
"For all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God. Romans 3:23" 
And some of us, namely myself, fall A LOT, and sometimes with the same struggle repeatedly.  (Gasp......)  It reminds me of the lyrics to a song I heard my mother sing many times as a child. 
"I'm only human.  I'm just a woman.  Help me believe in what I could be and all that I am.  Show me the stairway that I have to climb. Lord for my sake teach me take one day at a time.  One day at a time sweet Jesus that's all I'm asking from you.  Give me the strength to do everyday what I have to do.  Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus and tomorrow may never be mine.  So for my sake teach me to take one day at a time."
One day at a time the Lord refines me.  Through each trial he changes me from "glory to glory".  It's a process.  The fire hurts.  Correction is not fun but it is necessary for growing.  I'm pretty sure He'll still be working on me till the day I die. Hopefully, over time, I will learn a little faster!

I have thought and thought about what could make me seem more real and much less than the picture of perfection I have painted, so I have decided to confess some things to you.  (Please fasten your seat belt!) 

Daily I have to ask for my children's forgiveness for acting unkind to them.  I can be impatient, sometimes I yell, and sometimes I get bent out of shape over something that should not be a big deal.  I say "I'm sorry" frequently to my husband because I am oversensitive and I don't always agree with a decision he has made.  (I am a work in progress with many flaws.  I love submission....THERE,I said it!  I love the safety in spiritual authority!.......but it doesn't always come easy for me!)  Sometimes when a lady walks by without acknowledging me at church, I have vain imaginations of all the reasons she doesn't like me or is mad at me. (I know none of y'all do that!)

I find loads of mildewed clothes in the washer that has been there for days and start it again. (And again, and again...Oh, I think you get the picture.)  When my dishwasher is full and I still have dirty dishes, do I hand wash them and be done?  No, I wait till the washer is done, unload, reload, and run it again.  Every now and then I find pots of leftover food in my refrigerator that looks like it might have been a science project.  (We haven't had spaghetti in a week, a month,.....oh, I don't even know when!)

I talk obnoxiously loud when I am really excited.  I get splotchy rashes when I am nervous or anxious.  Whatever I think about the subject being discussed is written all over my face, and there is no way to hide it.  (I desperately wanted to overcome this by practicing my Jane Eyre look, but it didn't work!)

I am real!  I am just a woman on the search to find out what pleases my God and sharing it as I believe he shows me.  I do a lot of laughing along the way.  I love laughing!  I love it when people snort or slap their knee when they laugh! (I know I'm weird.)  The Bible says,
"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22"

"He will fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouting! Job 8:21 "

Like I said in my first post, I'd be happy for just a few friends and family to stop by and read every now and then.  I know everyone will not find this blog to their liking.  I am okay with that! 

I was thinking about trying something out on Friday(tomorrow).  If you have a question that you would like to know my thoughts on or you have a suggestion about what I should write about tomorrow, post it in the comments or send me a private message on FB @ Tera Jones Kilpatrick. 






 

2 comments:

  1. LOL! We should all practice the "Jane Eyre" look so that we can listen compassionately to people without any shock or horror showing on our faces!
    These are some brave confessions, Sister! The world view of what a woman's life should be is in direct contrast to what God's word says we should be. Any woman who confesses that she doesn't want to be equal to, or just like a man, is considered oppressed and brain-washed. Sad. I'm with you on your journey back to joyful femininity! It's great to be a woman! It's wonderful to be a stay-at-home wife! It's glorious to be under the umbrella of a loving husband and caring God!
    That's why I like this blog. We are kindred spirits. I have mildewed clothes, too! :D

    ReplyDelete