Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Matthew 26:14-25

It is a glorious day!  I thought I might share some humor with you this morning before we start our Bible Study.  Yesterday afternoon I watched a few YouTube videos of Rob Bell on Oprah (again).  This lead to watching some of his interviews from other places.  My blood was boiling!  If you don't know who this ex-mega pastor is, you should google him so you can see what a growing number of people in America are claiming as the gospel.  Rob Bell believes there is no hell, that everyone is going to heaven, and irreverently thinks God's Word is outdated and not relevant to the culture today. 

Now if you believe the Bible is INDEED God-breathed truth and that Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever, then Bell's false teachings should get your wheels turning.  So last night, I was in my bedroom straightening up when one of my girls came in and asked who I was talking to.  I was a little embarrassed because no one was in there with me.  (I didn't realize I was talking out loud and very loudly!)  She started laughing very hard, said she'd been listening to me a few minutes in the hallway, and that if whoever I was laying it out for didn't believe the Bible now there might not be any hope! (I was talking to Rob Bell in this one sided conversation.)

I used to laugh at my mom for having conversations with herself while she was washing dishes, NOW I DO IT!  Oh brother!  My girls thought it was so funny. ☺

Anyway, speaking of the God's Word, we'll be reading Matthew 26:14-25 today so read through this text in your Bible or online HERE!!!  Now, do what I just did and grab some coffee and your journal before we go on!  You will thank me later! (LOL!)
 
 
We read in this passage how our Lord was betrayed and given into the hands of enemies.  The religious leaders who were more than ready to be rid of Jesus were at a loss of how to accomplish this without causing an uproar from the people.  They found their way in the form of one of the disciples, Judas Iscariot.  For the price of 30 pieces of silver, Judas willingly delivered Jesus into their hands.

There are so many things I could say about Judas.  I imagine he would be good friends with a lot of famous mega church preachers today!  A man can enjoy many privileges and high religious esteem, and not be right before God. 

Judas was chosen to be an apostle.  HE WAS CHOSEN!  He was the friend of Jesus.  Judas witnessed miracles and heard Jesus give countless sermons.  Abraham, Moses, David, Isaiah, and other great Men of God never had the opportunity given to Judas.  He was allowed to live in the fellowship of Jesus and the other 11 disciples and served closely with them.  Despite all of this, I have to imagine his heart was never really changed by the truth of Jesus.

When we read about Judas, our hearts should be very humbled as we consider, "Search me, Oh Lord, and try my heart, and see if there be any wicked way in me."  We must not be satisfied until we begin to see that truly our heart and our will has been converted.

Another thing that comes to mind about this passage is this: the love of money is huge snare!  It is like a plague and is an infectious disease being passed about this nation.  "What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?"  If we aim to be rich, let us be rich in God's grace, mercy, and truth.


Cold any one of us turn into a Judas Iscariot?  Do we have the capability of becoming like this man?  How can we protect ourselves from this horrible predicament?

Have you ever been betrayed by someone who you were very close to?  How did it feel?  How do you think Jesus felt to be betrayed by one of His disciples?  Use the scripture to find the answer!

Come back tomorrow for more on Matthew: The King and the Kingdom and Food with Friends!

3 comments:

  1. I just watched one short thing of Rob Bell and Oprah and he said a whole bunch of nothing and made me mad too..... Going back to the study of Matthew I often find myself saying search me Lord and show me where I have filled my life with anything but you. I also think of growing up and going through the motions of church but never actually having a personal relationship with The Lord I wasn't really sold out to Christ. Now I know that it truly is not about works it's about accepting Jesus and what He did on the Cross and to realize that I am ONLY made right by the blood of the Lamb that was shed for me on the Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also are chosen, CHOSEN, by Jesus. He chose to shed His precious blood on the cross so that we could one day be with Him in glory. We should live each day with this thought foremost in our minds.
    "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever (that's 'me-soever') believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

    ReplyDelete