Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Matthew 13:1-23

Well, it was really fun doing the video for yesterday!  I had a lot of positive comments from this trial run so I think we will try to do more of them!  As of right now, for time purposes, I am thinking perhaps once a week I will be able to post a video.  I am trying to work on future posts so that I will be ahead of the study and not have to fall behind if something should come up.  
 
I also had a lot of feedback on making videos that would teach children (or adults!) longer scripture passages using motions.  My goal is to have one posted by Saturday.  I will create a new tab at the top of the home page that will say Scripture Videos.  You will have to go there to find them.  I will let everyone know when I post a new video via a Facebook post! 
 
The posts that I have prepared for the next few days might be a little longer than the previous posts because I am using notes from a study my Pastor did on The Parables to guide us in the study.  I want to do this justice so please don't let the length deter you from studying along!  We will be back to shorter lessons Friday! 
 

 
There are 7 parables in Matthew 13.  First off, we need to know what a parable is to understand the whole reason Jesus taught them!  The word parable comes from the Greek word parabole.  'Para'  means to come along side and compare, and 'bole' means to throw with or see with.  Jesus used parables to compare things to help others see a principle or instruction.  (Just as a side note, after reading the parables in Matthew 13, I am even more convinced that God loves creativity!)  : )
 
Jesus' disciples even wondered why he spoke in parables. (vs.10)  I'm not a Bible scholar, but I believe in verses 10-17, his answer was pretty clear.  He taught in parables to make the truth clearer and easy to remember for those who truly heard it and to make his purposes less evident for those seeking knowledge for knowledge's sake or religion's sake.  I think we forget what a gift we have to be able to understand Jesus' teachings!  We need to remember that as heart-wrenching as it is, everyone does not receive this gift as we will learn from the Parable of the Sower! 
 
Get a picture in your mind here!  Jesus is teaching to a multitude on a sea-side, not a fancy mega-church with all the latest technology.  His pulpit was a ship.  He had one purpose and that was to make the  simple truths of the Kingdom of God clear to those who would hear!  He didn't use Powerpoint or creative videos to drive the point home...He used something much more simple - Parables!  While studying Matthew 13, it was evident to me that we need to pray for ears to hear what Jesus says and for understanding given by the Holy Spirit.  Please know that I have been fervently praying this for everyone who is studying The Word with me and for myself! 

 
In a study done by my Pastor, Bro. Shannon Kilpatrick, parables can be broken down into 4 categories: Relations, Progress, Preciousness, and Separation.  The first Parable that we read is 'The Parable of the Sower' in verses 1-9.  It falls under the category of Relations because the principle given is the reception of the Word of the Kingdom and how it relates to each to each of us in the Kingdom.
 
The sower is ANYONE who is declaring the Word of God, and The Sower is sowing the TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL!  The place the seed lands is the ears and heart of the hearer.
 
There are 4 places the seed can land.  What happens to the seed?  How does the hearer respond?
 
WHEN THE SEED FALLS...................

a.) By the wayside (Matt.13:19)

 - They hear, but they don't HEAR!  They do not understand and have no desire to.  The enemy snatches that seed away.
 
b.) In the stony places (Matt.13:20-21)

-They receive it with joy, but have no roots.  They endure for a while until tribulation and persecution comes. (And it will!) They become offended and they fall.
 
c.) Among thorns (Matt.13:22)

-The hear, understand, and soil is good for growing!  BUT the cares and ways of the world and deceitfulness of riches chokes The Word and growth stops.  These hearers become unproductive in the Kingdom.
 
d.) Good ground (Matt.13:23)

-This ground produces conviction and these hearers are WILLING to repent.  They want to understand because they desire to know the Truths of the Kingdom!   
 
 
Time of Reflection
 Read Isaiah 5:1-7!  Parables were even used by prophets!  In your journal, compare the similarity between this text and Matthew 13:1-9.  God's Word is so incredible!
 


1 comment:

  1. Dear Heavenly Father, Please help me not to see myself as "good ground" when, in fact, I am "full of thorns". I give you complete authority to reveal and remove thorns in my life so that I can be fully focused on You and Your purposes for my life.

    ReplyDelete