Tuesday, April 29, 2014

With My Whole Heart! Ps. 119

It is the simple things in life that make me so happy in the mornings!  Like fresh eggs for breakfast....best ever!  And using my Rao's coffee scoop that my sweet and thoughtful friend, Jessie Cowart, picked up for me.  I am extremely sentimental.  This coffee scoop will probably stick with me forever just because she gave it to me. ☺ And last but not least, my Bible that Billy Joe got for me.  It will never be replaceable.  It has been with me our whole marriage!  Even when the pages are worn and falling out, I will keep it as a reminder of all the marvelous works God has done in my life and in my marriage! 
 

When I got up this morning, I just could not get Psalms 119 out of my mind.  Since I like to start my day out with the Word and prayer, it was great to have a fresh direction!  And just as a side note, these verses motivate me to make this morning quiet time a priority.

*O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch. Psalms 5:3
*Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Psalm 90:14
*And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. Mark 1:35

If Jesus thought it was important to have this alone time with the Father in the morning, I believe it is even more vital for me!

Will you read this passage with me? Pretty please with sugar on top! ☺

Psalms 119

Blessed are the undefiled in the way,
Who walk in the law of the Lord!
Blessed are those who keep His testimonies,
Who seek Him with the whole heart!
They also do no iniquity;
They walk in His ways.
You have commanded us
To keep Your precepts diligently.
Oh, that my ways were directed
To keep Your statutes!
Then I would not be ashamed,
When I look into all Your commandments.
I will praise You with uprightness of heart,
When I learn Your righteous judgments.
I will keep Your statutes;
Oh, do not forsake me utterly!
How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
10 With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.
12 Blessed are You, O Lord!
Teach me Your statutes.
13 With my lips I have declared
All the judgments of Your mouth.
14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
As much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on Your precepts,
And contemplate Your ways.
16 I will delight myself in Your statutes;
I will not forget Your word.
17 Deal bountifully with Your servant,
That I may live and keep Your word.
18 Open my eyes, that I may see
Wondrous things from Your law.
19 I am a stranger in the earth;
Do not hide Your commandments from me.
 
Here is the key to a blessed and happy Christian walk: The Law, Testimony, Commandments, Statutes, The Word, His Ways, Judgments, and Precepts.  It is so simple!
 
I will never forget when my children were very young, a well meaning person told me that God understood that I did not get much sleep with a new baby and that He understands that mothers do not have time to spend in the Word and prayer.  Yet, I had time to pile up on the couch and watch a movie or read a book.  Hmmm......it was an easy out for me, and as ashamed as I am to admit it, I took it.  Now, I was no longer required to sacrifice getting up just a little bit earlier, or take some time out of my day to spend with my Savior. 
 
Let me tell you what I know now.  Especially when you have small children, you need time with the Lord.  The joy of the Lord is your strength.  When you are tired after nursing sick children for a week, he gives you rest.  When you feel overwhelmed at the tasks ahead of you, you need the Word to refresh you.  When you think you can not do what the Holy Spirit is leading you to do, you find courage from His statutes. 
 
At every stage in our life, we should be like the Psalmist.  With my whole heart I have sought you; Oh let me not wonder from Your commandments!  (vs.10)  Open my eyes that I may see wondrous things from Your Law. (vs.18)

There are days when I wake up late, and we are racing to get somewhere on time, and I miss this precious time.  It effects my whole day.  No, I do not think the Holy Spirit is punishing me for not having quiet time!  I just needed to refuel.  Just like our bodies need food to keep going, our souls need to be fed to keep it strong!  Matthew 4:4 says, But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'"
God's words are life-giving!  I promise you will never regret time spent with Him.  Whether it be 5 minutes or an hour, let me encourage you to just meet with Him every day. 

And I'm off.....school, dentist appointments for all four girlies, and music lessons.  It is a crazy hectic day, but I am ready to face it!  Have a great day, my friends! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment