Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wedded Wednesday: The Critical Wife

 
  
Proverbs 19:13 says “a quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping.”

Being that wife that has serious heart issues against her husband does not happen overnight!  You know who I'm talking about.  You've probably cringed when she started speaking because you know everything about to come out of her mouth is going to be negative. 

The woman that when you hear her speak of her husband, you think she must surely hate and despise him.  Nothing but harsh and critical talk comes out of her mouth.  Bitterness, frustration, and anger are her theme song.  This didn't start with one disagreement, it happened over a period of time.

During that period of time, instead of choosing joy and love, she chose the need to be right and the need to be justified.  It eats away at you!

Have you ever been The Critical Wife?  I have!  Are you The Critical Wife now?

It is a sad place to be.  I am so thankful for God's grace and direction that showed me how to combat this stronghold in my life!

First of all, here is a good rule of thumb!

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,
but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs,
that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29
 
 
No matter what issues you and your husband may be facing, do not speak unkindly of him, especially in front of people.  JUST DON'T DO IT!  If you want the heart of your husband to safely trust in you (Proverbs 31:11), it's a safe bet to shut your mouth more than you open it.
 
Trust me, I realize that this is harder than it sounds.  Billy Joe and I do not always see eye to eye.  I have found though, if I want to keep his heart, I must humble myself, bite my tongue when my flesh tries to take over, and only say things that will build him up.  As a matter of fact, I'd rather hear women going overboard the other way and brag on their husband than always putting his faults in front of everyone to see.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient       
bearing with one another in love.
Ephesians 4:2

When you get married, you are not your own anymore.  You do not "HAVE THE RIGHT" to do what you want, decide what is best, make decisions, or anything else without consideration to what your husband, your spiritual leader, thinks.  You also don't have the right to say whatever you want about them.  It can be detrimental to your marriage!

Luke 6:45 says “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart,
and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart.
For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."
 
 
My prayer today is that the Lord would give us such a love and respect for our husbands that our husbands will be RESPECTED IN THE GATES (Prov. 31:23) because our mouths speak from the overflow of our heart!  A heart that honors God by honoring our husbands!  If you know someone who has fallen into the trap of The Critical Wife, take a minute to pray for her. 
 
 
Have a great Wednesday!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Amen; a good word from a good example of a good wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good word. A constant struggle in my life. I really needed this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete